There is nothing better than a warming bowl of chilli! It’ so versatile, delicious and packed full of plant protein! Throw it on a bed of rice, in a baked sweet potato, in a burrito, in tacos….the list is endless!! So I have been working on the perfect Veggie Chilli for sometime now, and I think I have it! Well, you guys can be the judge!
2-Bean Veggie Chilli – Serves 4, prep time 15 minutes, cook time 40 minutes
1 (796ml) can of chopped tomatoes
2 can of beans – your choice, I usually go for chickpeas, kidneys, navy, pinto etc
1 med chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce (or more to taste)
1 fresh red chilli
3-4 handfuls of spinach
1 large fresh diced tomato
Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Turn the hob onto a medium heat, melt the coconut oil and saute the onions for about 4 minutes, or until clear. Add the garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes (careful not to burn the garlic)
- Add in the cumin, chilli powder, and smoked paprika until the onions become fragrant – this usually happens after about 1 minute.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes, the diced fresh tomatoes, chopped fresh chilli and the Worcestershire sauce and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in your beans of choice, add salt and pepper to taste, and allow to cook and reduce for about 20-30 minutes with the lid on at a low-medium heat. Stirring every 10 minutes.
- Finally throw in your spinach, and give it a good stir until the spinach has wilted.
- If you choose rice as your base, garnish with avocado, cilantro, parsley, natural yogurt or whatever takes your fancy 🙂
Other meal ideas: Burrito, Tacos, Enchiladas, Pasta bake, Baked potato, Toast, Nachos – you can put this on anything!!
Remember this is just a base, you could add red peppers, carrots, more beans its totally upto you! It keeps well in the fridge for 3 days, or freeze it for those lazy evenings when you don’t feel like cooking!!
Stay healthy and happy ❤
Love, Natalie 🙂