Needing easy ways to get motivated? Need a little push to get your bum off the couch? Well look no further!! I have put together a few tips and tricks to help get you started on reaching optimal health!! From what to buy to which documentaries to watch. There’s no effort, just a quick read and an article you can keep going back to over and over again!
FOODS TO WATCH OUT FOR:
I cant stress enough how important eating organically and locally is, but its expensive. Well let me tell you there is a way to save your money – YAY! The Environmental Working Group each year produces lists called ‘The Dirty Dozen & The Clean Fifteen”, it states the top 12 foods that are riddled with pesticides and toxic chemicals, which I recommend buying organic. Then we have the 15 cleanest foods which are OK to buy non-organic. This will really help with grocery shopping 🙂 Avocados are top of the Clean Fifteen list…WOOHOO!
There is SO much information out there on the details about these two important lists. To find out more visit the Environmental Working Group website.
PRESERVATIVES AND ADDITIVES TO WATCH OUT FOR:
Preservatives/additives are being linked more and more to chronic diseases, and we should be really careful. Here are a list of some of the main preservatives and additives we should try and minimise or steer clear of. Best place to check for these are in canned and packaged foods on the label, a quick scan of these will help you determine which foods to avoid. It will be a slow process in your first shop, but once you know its plain sailing 🙂
- Acacia gum (Gum Arabic) – common cause of allergic reactions.
- Alginic acid – Can cause acid reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease aka GERD)
- Aspartame – Its an excitotoxin that can over stimulate your nervous system.
- Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) – Can cause allergic reactions, symptoms of food poisoning, kidney and central nervous system reactions.
- BHA and BHT – BHA has been known to interfere with energy production in our cells, and BHT can bind with other chemicals in our body to create toxins that are carcinogenic.
- High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) – Extremely calorific, with nearly no nutritional content. Also the reason for quick mood swings.
- Hydrogenated oils (eg Margarine, Vegetable Shortening, Cottenseed oil, Peanut Oil, Corn Oil) – This type of oil is only one molecule away from being a plastic. Its a thick viscous substance and in turn when consumed, it thickens the blood making your heart work much harder to pump the blood through our system.
- Trans-Fats (Foods to watch out for: Cookies, Cakes, Microwave Popcorn, Biscuits, Deep fried food etc) – Raises the LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol), can increase the risks of colon cancer, endometriosis, heart disease, depression, infertility, and many more poor health conditions.
- MSG – Another additive that can cause serious allergic reactions, it can also disrupt and over excite the nervous system, causing hyper activity and even cause migraines.
- Nitrites – These are found in cured meats, and when digested they combine with proteins known as amines, forming nitrosamines, which are known carcinogens.
- Propyl Gallate – Used alongside HFCS and trans-fats. You can be sure if you don’t see HFCS labelled on the packet, but you see Propyl Gallate, its certain that there are trans-fats or HFCS in the product but labelled under one of their many other names.
- Saccharin – This additive is a sugar substitute. Its a mildly to moderate carcinogen, with particular concerns for children, teenagers and pregnant women.
- Sulphur Dioxide – When consumed, this additive can deplete the body stores of vitamin A and some B vitamins also (such as Thiamine)
- Bisulphate and Sulphites – These type of agents are especially bad for asthmatics, they can cause wheezing and set off an asthma attack. They sulphites have also been found to enhance the cancer causing properties of other substances.
TOP TIP: Try to avoid packaged food, that way you won’t need to even worry about labels and ingredients <3! A quote I read that I absolutely love is “If it has a commercial, then don’t eat it” I LOVE THIS!! 🙂
DOCUMENTARIES TO WATCH TO GET YOU MOTIVATED:
- FORKS OVER KNIVES: My game changer…the reason I began this study process – so much info I had to watch it again…and again!
- Hungry for a Change: Asks the viewer all the right questions, its not pushy at all. Really motivating! Takes a look at how food is so commercially produced, and the simple things we are missing to ensure optimal health.
- Cowspiracy: This one has been seen a lot in the media, it unveils a lot of hidden truths and the damage that types of agriculture can do, and what the big corporations are trying to do to hide this. “The film that environmental organizations don’t want you to see”
- GMO OMG: Again, another hugely motivating documentary. It sees a father on a quest to get to the bottom of GMO farming and which giants are actually monopolizing the global food market.
- Sugar Coated: This is new to Netflix. A documentary about how the sugar industry is taking over, how the marketing can control us, and the reasons why we have become so addicted!
- Statin Nation: A huge eye opener about the prescription drugs given to people with heart disease, and the scary affects they have on their health. This one actually made me cry. Some of the stories that they show here make you realize that sometimes the pharmaceutical companies don’t really care about preventing disease as much as they do about making big bucks!
- Origins: Takes us back to basics, and the basic needs of a human. Encourages us to look at how we live now, and how the modern world has changed us, and how living in simplicity is ideal.
- Got the facts on Milk?: Watch this documentary to find out what you are REALLY drinking. You wont want to walk down the milk aisle in the super market once you find out whats actually in the milk.
- Food Matters: This documentary was created to outline why we should be making these small changes to how we eat and live, how processed foods are affect our health, and how we are what we eat. I would put this in the same category as ‘Hungry for a Chnage’, super informative, and allows you to make your own decision without being too pushy.
- Food Stamped: Eating clean on a budget! A must watch for everyone! Proves its possible on just a couple of bucks a day!
These are just some of my favorites. Whenever I am feeling demotivated or discouraged I will pop one of these doco’s on my TV to help clear my cloudiness, and point me back in the right direction. For those of you who don’t know me, I absolutely LOVE my FMTV membership! Its Netflix for health & wellness! It has helped me through my journey of studying Natural Health, and been a great study aid! Check it out HERE!
I really hope this has helped!! I am bursting to tell you all sooooo much, but I guess you will have to wait for the next blog post!!
Stay healthy and happy! ❤
Love Natalie xoxo